San Diego Chapter
A blog for and by a community of professionals
August 28, 2014
By Kelly Wallace
Teresa Reed, our chapter’s MAP Committee chair, and I recently attended CalCPA’s Financial Literacy Summit of legislators, educators, various providers of financial literacy education materials and volunteer organizations promoting financial literacy. Topics included:
- “The Importance of Personal Financial Literacy for California’s Future,” which discussed the linkage between the health of California and how it is tied to the sound financial decisions of its residents and impact of personal financial education.
- “Mandates and Progress for Personal Financial Literacy Education in California,” which are now required curriculum through AB 166 with more plans for implementation through Common Core Standards in math and/or economics in the works.
- “Financial Literacy Success Stories” highlighted volunteer success for the CalCPA Inland Empire Chapter, a CSU San Bernardino professor and PwC’s financial literacy program.
- “Community Partnerships and Resources for Financial Literacy” discussed the California Jump$tart Coalition, which partners with various organizations to help young people succeed with money.
- Breakout sessions attended by myself for “Financial Literacy Volunteer Training” and by Teresa Reed covering the “How-to of Town Halls and Other Community-based Partnerships.”
My favorite part of the program was listening to PwC’s Geographic Marketing Leader Susan Stone describe the firm’s Guinness world record for financial literacy pro bono work and youth education programs: “Earn Your Future” and “Project Belize.” The firm is committed to the program because it is right thing to do, there are synergies of financial education and its energized workforce, giving back makes us better people and having better people makes the company a better firm.
Read the rest of this entry »
Enjoy fun networking opportunities. Register online or call program associate Cindy Holcomb at (619) 303-7010 for help.
Circle Oct. 27 on your calendar for the Professional Issues Update! Get an overview on topics impacting the CPA profession and CPAs in your local community. CPA professionals, including CalCPA leadership, will discuss the latest tax issues, legislative and political activities, risk and liability trends impacting CPAs, as well as the Affordable Healthcare Act and the new provisions going into effect. Full breakfast will be included. Attendees will earn 3 hours of free CPE. This event is FREE for members and guests. Invite your colleagues to use discount code “PIUGuest” at checkout.
Our 18th Annual San Diego Tax & Accounting Institute, the region’s premier opportunity for tax professionals to hear the recent developments in federal, state and local tax and accounting issues, will be held Nov. 19-21. Get timely updates on tax legislation and its impact on firms and clients. You’ll get to choose from several breakout sessions focused on tax or accounting, as well as participate in general sessions. Once again, Russ Sullivan will be our keynote speaker.
Stay tuned for registration details.
Thank you to our Platinum sponsor: