A blog for and by a community of professionals
November 22, 2013
By Norman Wong
Wow, it’s already December. Where did the year go? I think most of us are gearing up for year-end planning, getting through the holidays and looking forward to January for that final break before busy season hits us again. I hope you had a successful and rewarding 2013, and that 2014 is even more successful and rewarding. Cheers!
I was appointed to the CalCPA Finance Committee in June and attended my first meeting in San Francisco recently. I am pleased to announce that we were able to balance our budget for the coming year in 5.5 hours. Each chapter submits its own budget in July, and it’s reviewed and consolidated for approval in November. There is discussion amongst the committee members, board members and staff regarding each area of the budget. I have to say that we are financially sound. Why wouldn’t we be as CPAs? If only our government could learn from us.
Read the rest of this entry »
Once again, our ABCs To Success Mixer was a huge success. We want to thank the following special sponsors:
- Bar Sponsor: Hemming Morse LLP
- Prize Sponsor: Baker Manock & Jensen PC
- Save the Date Sponsor: Sutton Hatmaker Law Corp
- Decoration Sponsor: Dowling Aaron Inc
Other sponsors who generously support our event:
• Baker Manock & Jensen PC
• Baker Peterson & Franklin
• Bank of the Sierra
• Coleman & Horowitt LLP
• Dowling Aaron Inc
• Fresno County Bar Association
• Gilmore Wood Vinnard & Magness
• Hemming Morse LLP
• McCormick Barstow
• Morse Wittwer Sampson LLP
• Payroll People
• Price Paige & Co
• Principal Financial Group
• Sutton Hatmaker Law Corp
More than 100 CPAs, family and friends came out Nov. 2 and 9 for our annual CPAs Care days at the Community Food Bank. No one could miss our group in our bright yellow shirts! Find more photos on CalCPA’s Facebook page.
Thank you to our members, family and guests for their community service to the Community Food Bank on Nov. 2 and 9.
Those participating were:
Beta Alpha Psi
Watts Campbell Chi and Baker
Price Paige and Co
Morse Wittwer Sampson LLP
Dedekian George Small & Markarian
Torosian & Walter
Dunn Jeffries Hering & Wong
Want to use your talents at the statewide level? Your opportunity awaits—the application period is open to serve on our CalCPA committees for 2014-15. From estate planning to technology, and from personal financial planning to taxation, there’s a committee meeting your interests and expertise.
Work with your peers on projects that increase members’ technical knowledge, enhance the profession’s image and draw the best and brightest into accounting—all while you build leadership skills and make valuable contacts. The application deadline is Dec. 15 and committee appointments will be made in January.
Learn more and apply online.
Join your colleagues Jan. 22 for a visit to Sacramento. Legislators are not always familiar with the CPA profession’s unique environment and CPA Day at the Capital is your chance to familiarize your representatives about issues important to CPAs statewide.
Register or learn more.
The CalCPA Accounting Principles and Auditing Standards Committee is providing a valuable resource for every CPA’s library available online. Here you will find:
- Comment letters issued by the committee on professions standards exposure drafts for the last two years;
- Recent professional standards (does not included those for public or international entities) with links to the actual standards;
- Links to California CPA magazine’s recent auditing and accounting articles;
- Links to AICPA resources, which include SASs, SSARS, SSAEs, SQCS, and Code of Professional Conduct; and
- Link to FASB Codification (basic view only).
This single page can save hours of research time by providing all the resources you need in your practice.