A blog for and by a community of professionals
April 23, 2013
By Norman Wong
Experienced tax warriors like us only get stronger with each tax season. For those just experiencing it for the first time, know that you have survived and will only get stronger. As they say: Only the strong survive.
As I’m writing this message, the first thought that comes to my mind is my pet peeves about tax season. I have listed several of them:
- Why can’t there be a uniform 8.5-by-11 form that everyone has to use to report income/expenses? It would make scanning the documents so much easier. W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, etc.—all come in different shapes, sizes and box arrangements. I just love hearing that beeping noise when the 1099-SSA gets stuck in the scanner because it’s such an odd shape.
- Client drops off their information on Monday, calls on Wednesday and asks, “Do you have any numbers for me yet? Am I getting a refund?”
- Client calls and says, “I know I haven’t brought you my information yet, but I need a tax return by tomorrow for financing/refinancing.”
- Corrected 1099 brokerage statements after the return is completed. ‘Nuff said.
I would like to hear some of your pet peeves. Please click on “Comment” at the bottom of this blog and leave a message about your pet peeves for tax season.
Read the rest of this entry »
You might be an accountant if:
- You refer to your child as Deduction 214.
- You have no idea that GAP is also a clothing store.
- At the movie “Indecent Proposal” you did an NPV calculation.
- Getting to sleep is an exciting event that you look forward to all day long.
President: Norman Wong (Dunn Jeffries Hering & Wong)
Vice President: Sally Cook (Baker Peterson & Franklin)
Secretary: Kathleen Bates (Torosian & Walter)
Treasurer: Arthur Moye (MBS A/C)
Past President: Tim Baker (Campbell Watts Chi & Baker)
Director 2012-14: Darrell Carlis (Boos & Assoc)
Directors 2013-15: Brian Repucci (Hemming Morse), Henry Oum (Price Paige & Co.), Lauren Nii (Torosian & Walter)
Directors 2013-14: Valerie Parkey (Campbell Watts Chi & Baker), Nick Andrade (Dedekian George Small & Markarian)
CalCPA’s Accounting Education Committee is accepting nominations for the 2012-13 Outstanding Accounting Educator Award.
The award recognizes contributions to accounting education from demonstrated excellence in teaching and/or endeavors in research over a sustained period of time through:
- Excellence in teaching and mentoring, as evidenced by receiving various awards or citations;
- Educational innovation, including developing curriculum, case studies and new programs;
- Published articles in professorial or academic journals and/or written textbooks for use in accounting classes;
- Significant involvement in professional and/or academic societies and related activities.
Nominations are due by May 6. You may submit nominations online.